Enroll in paperless billing today for the chance to receive $100. Let's get green together!
LCEC does not contract solar or installers. Beware of solar company reps stating they work for LCEC.
July 16, 2019 – In sunny Southwest Florida, 30 percent of summer cooling costs are attributed to glass and windows. From sliding glass doors to skylights to regular windows in your home, all glass conducts heat. LCEC energy experts remind everyone that:
• Significant air-conditioning savings can be attained by blocking solar heat before it reaches the windows, or by using special heat-reflecting glass or heat-reflecting glass coatings also known as residential window tint.
• Reflective glass or residential window tint should be rated to reflect at least 65 percent of all solar heat to be considered efficient in Southwest Florida.
• Awnings, storm shutters, shade trees and porch or lanai roofs are all very effective in blocking solar heat.
• East or west windows are the main source of intrusive heat. It is recommended to use shading devices and tint on east and west windows since they experience many hours of direct sunlight.
• South-facing windows experience a great deal of direct sunlight in the winter months when the sun rides lower in the sky. In the summer, south-facing windows are largely shaded by the overhanging soffit of the roof.
• Skylights experience many more hours of direct sunlight than any vertical window and should be avoided if possible. Existing skylights can be tinted, covered, blocked or shaded to lessen their load on the air conditioner.
• When upgrading windows, consider energy-efficient features such as double-pane, low-E glass as well as type of frame material.
Residential window tint is available online and at many major home improvement stores. Along with detailed application instructions, there are many tutorials online to help you apply residential tint yourself. For more ways to save, visit lcec.net.
Seleccionando el boton “Continuar” ud. estará saliendo de la página de internet de LCEC e ingresará a una página de internet acogida por una compañia tercera. Por favor note que ud. no estará sujeto a o bajo la protección y reglas de privacidad de la página de internet de LCEC. LCEC no es responsable por el contenido y veracidad de la información en la página de internet. Antes de proceder y proveer cualquier información personal o confidencial, le sugerimos que revise las reglas de privacidad en el sitio de internet al que ud. está ingresando.