Electrical safety for your furry family members

April 12, 2023 – Pets are naturally curious and playful. Not only can a four-legged family member get hurt while being frisky around electricity, but a pet could even cause an electrical fire or other dangers. Remember the following to protect your furry friend:

  • Protect pets from electrical cords by covering with a heavy plastic sleeve or applying a bitter-tasting product to deter pets from chewing. Chewing on cords can cause deadly shock!
  • Never leave charging cords plugged in when not in use and in view. Serious burns or shock can happen if pets put these cords in their mouths.
  • Ensure that night lights and appliances are fully plugged into wall outlets with no exposed prongs which could attract tiny paws or tongues.
  • Ensure that you have no dangling cords from conveniences such as lamps and appliances. These cords could easily get pulled down and potentially start a fire.
  • Never allow pets to nap or play behind and/or near computer equipment, dryers or other large appliances to avoid electrical risks.

If you suspect that your furry friend has contacted electricity and has signs of burns, increased drooling, coughing, difficulty breathing or signs of suffering, contact your vet immediately. Visit lcec.net for more tips on staying safe around electricity.