November 26, 2019 – As your prep your home for family, friends and Thanksgiving day fun, be sure to include energy savings in the mix. With these simple steps, you can prevent yourself from being an energy turkey while gobbling up savings:
Ode to your oven:
Your oven treats you well! Treat it well this Thanksgiving by cooking multiple things at once and resisting the urge to peek into the oven will keep your oven working only when it needs to. If you can cook some appetizers, dinner and dessert items at once, you can cut down on your electric usage while giving your oven a much-deserved rest. Remember that every time you open your oven, the temperature drops by 25 to 30 degrees in addition to raising the temperature in your kitchen.
Be a microwave maven:
Microwaves use half as much electricity as conventional ovens, and cook items in a shorter time. Consider using your microwave to cook smaller items like side dishes, and leave the big dishes for the oven.
Be brilliant when it comes to burners:
Make sure you match up pots and pans to your burners. Using a small pot on a big burner wastes electricity.
Give your fridge some free time:
Your fridge works hard all the time! Consider using a cooler rather than opening your fridge over and over to get out cold items like drinks. Be sure to give hot food time to cool down before storing them.
Let your dishwasher do its thing:
Save time, water and electricity by using your dishwasher to clean your Thanksgiving mess. If possible, scrape food from dishes to prevent the need to pre-rinse. Be sure to fill it completely to get the most bang for your buck!
Happy Thanksgiving from your friends at LCEC!
November 12, 2019 – LCEC employees, friends and family are gearing up to once again volunteer to decorate the Edison & Ford Winter Estates for their 44th annual Holiday Nights! During Holiday Nights, the Edison & Ford Winter Estates are adorned with thousands of lights and period decorations from the 1880s to the 1920s. Each year, volunteers from local organizations and businesses are invited to take part in the honor of decorating this local landmark. Holiday Nights runs from November 29-December 23 and December 26-30 from 5:30-9 p.m. In addition to enjoying the lights and holiday décor, attendees can partake in live music, food, beverages, crafts, Inside the Homes tours, and more. For more information about Holiday Nights, call 239-334-7419.
November 5, 2019 – Scammers are relentless when it comes to their attempts to trick people out of money and/or personal information. What’s worse is that scammers are upping their game, using more sophisticated and intimidating strategies. The only way to truly protect yourself is to be aware and vigilant in safeguarding your personal information. When it comes to a utility scammer, LCEC reminds customer to…
Know what to look for:
• Someone pretending to be an LCEC representative to get into your home
• Anyone soliciting your personal information or trying to sell products and services over the telephone or through the mail on behalf of LCEC
• Requests for personal information by email or websites appearing to be sent from LCEC
• Someone requesting immediate cash or “gift card” payment in person
Know how to protect yourself:
LCEC employees and contractors are frequently in your neighborhood to perform routine maintenance, energy services, and conduct tree trimming. All LCEC employees and contractors carry a photo identification badge and can provide work documents with corporate contact information. Ask to see proof and call LCEC to verify, if you are in doubt.
Know that LCEC will not:
• Come into your home without making arrangements ahead of time
• Solicit personal information over the phone, unless you initiated the call
• Threaten to close your account if you do not take the immediate action of providing personal information
• Visit your home offering cash refunds on deposits or electric charges. We either credit your account or mail a check to your electric service address
Trust your gut:
• If someone suspicious is on your property claiming to be an LCEC representative, ask to see photo identification badge or work request number
• Contact LCEC at 239-656-2300 to inquire if representatives are in your area or to ask about your account
• Do not allow anyone into your home if you feel uneasy about if they are actually from LCEC
• Do not provide personal information such as bank account numbers, passwords, social security number or credit/debit card numbers over the phone unless you initiated the call
• Ignore suspicious emails that urge immediate action or request personal information
• Do not trust contact information provided in suspicious emails
For more information on protecting yourself from scammers, types of scams and how to report fraud or scams, visit the Safety tab on lcec.net.
Seleccionando el boton “Continuar” ud. estará saliendo de la página de internet de LCEC e ingresará a una página de internet acogida por una compañia tercera. Por favor note que ud. no estará sujeto a o bajo la protección y reglas de privacidad de la página de internet de LCEC. LCEC no es responsable por el contenido y veracidad de la información en la página de internet. Antes de proceder y proveer cualquier información personal o confidencial, le sugerimos que revise las reglas de privacidad en el sitio de internet al que ud. está ingresando.